Everything old is new again. Like ancient grains, for example. Long associated with
health-giving properties, ancient grains are enjoying a renaissance of sorts in the
United States and other Western countries. At Friendly Meadows, we are committed
to the growth of all types of grains, which are not only an integral ingredient in our
foods, but in a wide variety of products on the market today.
“Ancients grains” is a term for grains that have been planted and cultivated the
same way for thousands of years with no manipulation by modern man. The
difference between ancient grains and the typical modern wheat found in
supermarkets is that most grains today come from a variety of wheat created in the
1960’s through cross-breeding and genetic manipulation in order to produce a
higher-yielding and lower cost crop.
Ancient grains are not only more natural, they also tend to be higher in fiber,
protein, vitamins and minerals. What follows are some popular ancient grains and
the health benefits they offer:
- Millet: A nutritious ancient grain that’s a staple throughout China, India, and Africa. It
contains a variety of nutrients linked to lower inflammation, reduced heart disease risk,
and improved blood sugar control.
- Farro: High in antioxidants that may lower the risk of several chronic illnesses, such as
heart disease and certain cancers.
- Bulgur (cracked wheat): Made from cracked durum wheat, its high fiber content may
promote heart health, good digestion, blood sugar control, and weight loss.
- Barley: Highly nutritious and among the most widely consumed ancient grains in the
American diet that can contribute to better heart health.
- Quinoa: Contains potent antioxidants that have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and
anticancer properties in animal studies.
- Rye: Due to its high fiber content, rye and rye-based products may be more effective
at alleviating constipation than wheat-based products and laxatives.
Think of Friendly Meadows as your partner in farming success. We offer a selection of grain
cleaners and separators designed to make your grain farming process easier, more efficient,
and ultimately, more successful. For more information, give us a call today.